Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Another precious memory

One of the main things I have learnt from the last three years is that there really is no point in worrying about something, as it normally never turns out as bad as your worries imagine it to be.

Even though I have learnt that and regularly quote that, it did not stop me from stressing about what Imogen’s birthday was going to bring us.


Would it be all of us crying?


Would Imogen be sad or in pain?


Well you guessed it I should not have wasted my time and worried.
Imogen birthday yesterday was perfect for where we are right now. Imogen gathered up her breath and blew out all six of her candles. She then enjoyed a piece of her cake and a few snakes. Imogen also pondered aloud why no one had given her any birthday presents (we had given her all her presents at her birthday party). Luckily I had some extras in the cupboard, which I quickly wrapped and presented, and surprisingly they were well excepted : ). Granma and Aunty Bibby (at Imogen’s request) came around for a tea party on the bedroom floor. We all got to eat a family tradition of fairy cakes being bought by the Granma (yum).

Imogen was happy, content with her birthday


We were happy, content with her birthday…. …simple things.


In reflection of yesterday whilst washing Baby Ashton, I discovered that I had been spending more time concentrating on when she was going to pass away. Rather then focusing on her in this moment, on this day, the many days she has given us and will continue to give us. I had been trying to compare this situation with normal life, which it is definitely not. I decided then that I would adjustment my thinking of normal life to this space where we are right now. This being our new normal for now, then when she passes it will be a different new normal. A forever adapting normal.

So now my normal consists of changing dvds, cooking random
things for Imogen, laying and holding her hand for hours on end, heating heat bags, reminding her of fun times we have had, showing her photos of us, reading her Mr Men books, bringing Ashton into see her, where he gives her the sweetest smiles, playing wii games with Kody, making sure we do “ How was your day?”, doing my blog updates and perhaps a little cleaning : P…focusing on today, accepting today for what it is. Who really knows what tomorrow will hold…

"Yesterday's history, and tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift and that’s why we call it the present"

Eleanor Roosevelt
I am sure that rabbit would taste good : )) thinks Ashton

With Much Love and Hope Fiona, Jason, Kody, Imogen and Ashton xxxxxx

16 comments:

Leanne Pritchard said...

Fiona, your strength and attitude are truly inspirational. I really wish I had gotten to know you better at uni, as you are one very special person...
Sending you love and hugs, hon,
Leanne xxxooo

Unknown said...

Dear Fi, So glad Immie's bday was a happy time for you all, & she got to do THE CAKE and more gifts! GO GIRL...! I am glad too
that "limbo land" has become "normal for now", a much better place to be with a sense of purpose & making the best of the situation. Who knows how long it will take for such a sparkly determined spirit to leave a sick little body... I cannot say enuf how much I admire you and your family as you continue to have your gr8 attitude and be strong as ever. Hope Immie is painfree & having a good day. Thinking of you always & sending lots of love to everyone, Kerry. xx

Millie said...

Yes Fiona, today is the 'present' and it sounds like Immie has given you all some extra pressies yesterday. So pleased you had a little tea party - there's something special about cupcakes and tea party's.

Thinking of you all, little Ashton is a cutie, especially when he smiles - I bet he lights up Immie's day.

Sending lots of love and hugs

Millie xx

Brandie said...

Fi, you guys are truly amazing. I am so glad Imgoen had a great day yesterday the tea party sounds fab! Love you all x0x0x

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC MOTHER !!
WONDERFUL FAMILY !!
HUGS AND KISSES DANIELLE XX

The Light Family said...

To darling Immie,

I am so, so happy that you got to enjoy some more yummy birthday cake. Oohhh, it looks soooo delicious, fit for a Princess! :-)

Dearest Fiona, (and family!!),

I must say that reading today's blog, was like another breath of pure oxygen. I'm really happy for all of your wonderful family, that Immie was content and able to enjoy her birthday. That's so great, and may you be blessed with many more days like it. I will keep praying and hoping for that, for all of you.

Your optimistic outlook is just amazing, Fiona. You show such courage and strength, and you inspire me to live for 'the day' and to never take things for granted. It's life's simple pleasures that matter the most, and the people who care, will always be there.

I'm wishing you so much hope, love warmth and hugs to each and every one of you.

xxxxxxxx Lyndall xxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Fiona, How wonderful that Imogen was with you all to celebrate her 6th birthday. Please wish her happy birthday from the "horrible" lady who took her precious finger prints.

Your strength is remarkable and inspirational, my thoughts are often with you.

Love
Jenny (Smallprint)

Anonymous said...

Dear Imogen

Congratulations on turning 6. How wonderful that you were able to share it with your very special and inspirational family.

You are often in thought.

Love

Jenny Boyd (Smallprint)

dana said...

Im so glad you guys had a nice day yesterday, brings tears to my eyes. Cant even describe how happy I am for you, such a lovely memory from your big young lady xxxx

Nicky NZ said...

Wow you are amazing Fiona. Thinking of you guys lots.

~*~Snappz~*~ said...

Always thinking of you. Love to you all.

Unknown said...

Sending my best wishes to you and a big Happy Birthday for Immie's sixth birthday.

Unknown said...

Dear Holmes Gang, hope you are having a quiet day, with thoughts of happy times and all painfree for Miss Immie. Sending love,good vibes & gentle hugs, Kerry. xx

Unknown said...

Gotta say what a cute picture of Ashton, with his little fuzz on top & gorgeous smile, just delightful :)

Kimmie said...

Much love and light sent your way~!


Gentle squishy hugs!

Kimmie, Stu and Brenton
xxx

Millie said...

Thinking of you all - sending much love and hugs

Millie xx :O)